posted Mar 16, 2020, 3:31 PM by Brad VanDyne

March 15, 2020

Dear Loon Lake Families, 

Since we last spoke on Friday, things have a changed a bit regarding the Coronavirus.  We now have confirmed cases in Spokane County, and folks who are connected with schools in Spokane County are being tested.  Out of an abundance of caution, some schools in our area have decided to close school tomorrow, Monday, March 16th, one day earlier than we are required to by the governor. 

 Because the health and well-being of the entire Loon Lake family is my top priority, I have decided to close Loon Lake School District tomorrow as well.  This was truly a difficult decision.  The teachers and I have been agonizing over what to do.  Of course we want our kids and families safe, but if we aren't going to see them for six weeks, we really wanted to see them tomorrow.  It saddens all of us that we will not be able to do that.  I’m sure many are wondering if closing is the “right” thing to do.  Honestly, I’m not sure there is a right thing to do here.  But because the issue at hand is health and safety, I believe it is the “prudent” thing to do.  If holding school tomorrow has even the slightest chance of putting any of you at risk, then it just isn’t worth it.  I apologize for the inconvenience this causes.

 I will bring much more information to you as the week progresses, but there are 3 things I need you to know right now.

First, we will have staff at school tomorrow, so if you need to pick up any medications or personal items that your child needs, please feel free to do so. 

Second, as we figure out childcare for families who need it, we must give first priority to families who have adults who work in the medical field or as first responders.  If this is you, please contact our office tomorrow so we can plan for this. 

 And finally, our top priority is determining the plan to get our kids fed.  Unfortunately, we will need some time to create a plan for this.  Our goal is to have a solid plan no later than next Monday, March 23rd.  However, if we can deploy sooner than this, we absolutely will.  I will keep you updated throughout the week. 

 As always, if you need anything at all, you know where to find us.  Together we will get through this.  Thank you for support and flexibility, and willingness to do what is necessary to keep us all healthy.